New City Hall

Civic peace congress in a state institution.

The Neo-Renaissance building was constructed in 1870-75, with the most renowned and experienced architects and artists as contributors. The plans were made by Imre Steindl, who also planned the building of the Parliament. The meetings of the Municipal Board have been taking place in this building ever since it was opened. The cast-iron structured stairway is decorated with Corinthian columns made in the Ganz Factory. The Main Hall is decorated with frescos by Károly Lotz, one of the most popular fresco and mural painters of his time (his works are also featuring in the Hungarian National Museum, the Hungarian Academy of Science, the Budapest Opera, St Stephen’s Cathedral and the Parliament buildings). It was in this building and specifically in the Lotz Hall that the 7th International Peace Congress held its assembly on 18-23 September 1896, chaired by István Türr and with Bertha von Suttner as honorary guest, who later became the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1905. The Congress was made up of 150 representatives from abroad, 50 from Austria and 80 from Hungary, as well as delegates of 10 academies and 9 literary peace associations. Their present represented a total of 800 peace associations meeting in this prestigeous public building.

„Our task is to create a public forum for peace-loving – as the public is a mighty power.“
– Jókai

Question: What does it tell you that civic associations held a peace congress in the building of the Municipal Board?

Recreation spots: the eateries on the first floor of the Big Market Hall in F?vám Square, the restaurants and cafés in Váci Street.

Additional information
Information budapest.hu
Public transport
Tram 2, 47 and 49 Fővám tér
Bus 15 and 115 Fővám tér
Time to the next peace trail station
7 minutes